tax id

Questions Regarding ITIN Number

ITIN stands for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, and it enables resident and non-resident aliens to pay taxes to the Internal Revenue Service. The ITIN number is only available to people that do not have a Social Security Number, which is issued by the Social Security Administration. If you qualify for one, you should apply to get an ITIN number. If you have any question to who can apply, its validity, what to submit, amongst other questions, you will find the answers to your queries here:

1.    Who is Eligible to Apply for an ITIN Number?

The following people are eligible:

  • Spouse of the resident alien or a U.S. citizen
  • S. resident and non-resident alien filing for a tax return
  • Dependent(s) of the U.S. citizen or alien
  • Non-resident student, researcher, professor filing or claiming a tax return
  • Non-resident aliens who need to file for a tax treaty benefit
  • Dependent(s) or spouse of a non-resident alien with U.S. visa
  • People who are in a foreign or U.S. based partnership that have assets the produce income or invests in the U.S.
  • People who receive distributions such as dividends, annuities, pensions, royalties, and more
  • Resident aliens who have an interest bearing back account

2.    Does Obtaining an ITIN Change Your Immigration Status?

Obtaining an ITIN number will not change your immigration status or give you permission to work in the United States.

3.    What Should You do if You are Assigned a Social Security Number?

Once you obtain a social security number, you must immediately stop using your ITIN number for tax purposes. It is against the law to continue using both, and you must alert the Internal Revenue Service instantly so that can combine all your previous tax record under a single identification number.

  1. How Long is Your ITIN Number Valid for?

The Internal Revenue Service declared on June 30, 2014 that there would be an expiry date associated with people’s ITIN number. Your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number will expire in five years and you will have to renew it.

5.    What Documents You Need to Prove Your Foreign Status and Identity?

Here is the list of documents you will need:

  • Passport (if you provide this, you will not need to provide anything else)
  • Foreign military or U.S. military ID card
  • The U.S Department of State issued visas
  • Foreign voter’s registration card
  • Immigration services’ photo identification and U.S. citizenship
  • Medical record of depend under fourteen years and under eighteen if studying
  • Birth Certificate, if born in other country
  • S. driver’s license, if you have one
  • National identification card (address, name, picture, date of birth, and expiration date
  • School record of dependent under fourteen years and under eighteen if studying

When you submit all the proper credentials with your ITIN application, you will receive your ITIN number within three to four weeks time. If you are applying for an ITIN number from another country, it will take less or more than eight to ten weeks.

If you want to apply for an, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or ITIN tax number and have any other questions, please feel free to contact us at 888-509-3616. If you have any suggestions please share those with us as well. Freedomtax ITIN Number has a professional team of IRS Certifying Acceptance Agents, and tax accounting professionals with more than 16 years of experience, helping immigrants with their ITIN application. Freedomtax can also help immigrant entrepreneurs incorporate a business in the USA. Freedomtax ITIN Tax Number Online services provides Quality, Professional Service with a Family Feel.

Please follow and like us:

Post a Comment

Your email is kept private. Required fields are marked *

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)