You will need an ITIN number if you have gotten married recently and brought your spouse to the US on an H4 dependent visa status, then you have the option to file your tax returns as Married Filling Jointly. First, you will need to apply for an ITIN number for your spouse. Upon receiving her ITIN number, you will be able to file your tax returns together.
To be able to apply for an ITIN number for a dependent, you must first file your own tax returns with the IRS and clear all outstanding dues. You can also attached the W-7 form, which is the application for an ITIN, along with you tax files as you send them.
You will be unable to send your tax returns as an efile through TurboTax,
Applying for ITIN for a Dependent
- You can use Freedomtax Accounting tax services to fill your Federal and State Tax Return and generate the forms.
- You will be unable to file online so don’t pay for any additional services.
- When asked to fill in spouse’s SSN, leave it empty. Since you are not going for an efile, the error warning is redundant.
- Once the forms are completed, you will be asked to file by mail due to the errors. Save the forms on your computer hard disk and print out a copy of the files.
Once your Federal Returns (Form 1040, Form 1040EZ) are filled and printed, now you will have to mail them in to IRS ITIN Operations Division, along with other relevant documents. Visit http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Revised-Application-Standards-for-ITINs for information on other required documents.
Submission of W-7 Form without Original Passport
If you don’t feel comfortable mailing your original passport to a foreign country. There are three other ways to submit a W-7 form without sending in the dependant’s original passport.
- File the tax return and then apply for an ITIN at your local IRS office. Visit http://apps.irs.gov/app/officeLocator/index.jsp to locate the nearest IRS office. IRS offices are open from 8:30am to 4:30pm on weekdays. A limited number of ITIN applications are processed a day, so you may have to go in a bit early.
- File the tax return and apply for an ITIN number through an acceptance agent. Visit http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Acceptance-Agent-Program to locate acceptance agent programs. This may be the most expensive option and acceptance agents might charge hefty fees for the service.
- Mail a copy of the passport for the H4 dependant, endorsed by the issuing authority, i.e. the issuing country’s embassy, to the IRS ITIN Operations Division, along with your returns.
If you want to apply for an, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or ITIN tax number and have any other questions, please feel free to contact us at 888-509-3616. If you have any suggestions please share those with us as well. Freedomtax ITIN Number has a professional team of IRS Certifying Acceptance Agents, and tax accounting professionals with more than 16 years of experience, helping immigrants with their ITIN application. Freedomtax can also help immigrant entrepreneurs incorporate a business in the USA. Freedomtax ITIN Tax Number Online services provides Quality, Professional Service with a Family Feel.