Individual Tax Identification Number is a nine digit number used to administer tax processing in United States. Individuals who already have a SSN (Social Security Number), once had a SSN or are eligible for a SSN cannot apply for an ITIN. Only the individuals who are not eligible for the SSN can get ITIN.
This ITIN number is issued by the Internal Revenue Service. According to Wikipedia, ‘IRS is the revenue service of the United States federal government. The government agency is a bureau of the Department of the Treasury, and is under the immediate direction of the Commissioner of Internal Revenue.’
Point to note is that an ITIN number is strictly used for federal tax reporting purpose. There are no SSN benefits attached or Earned Income Credit. Plus there is no change in the immigration status of the applicant. So it’s important to understand the different nature of an ITIN and a SSN. Another important point is that an ITIN is not just for the U.S. residents but is also for the nonresidents. Both these entities can have some sort of tax implications and hence both of them can get ITIN.
Follow Simple Steps and Get ITIN
Below is list of steps that will help an individual who wants to apply for the ITIN number.
- First thing you need is the ITIN W-7 form. You can get this from the IRS center or you can simply do it online.
- Your complete tax return. The sole purpose of an ITIN is tax administration so a tax return is a must. Make sure your tax return is accurate and is attached to the back side of your W-7 form. As per instructions there are exceptions to the tax return and in case of an exception you must submit the documentation required in lieu of a tax return. For details refer to the exception table on the IRS site.
- As a proof of your identity, original documents or certified copies of documents are mandatory. The information you provide on your W-7 form should always match with the information on your supporting documents. (national I.D card, driver’s license, passport, birth certificate etc)
- Once done with the above, you’re supposed to mail them to the IRS. If you want to submit them in-person, you can always visit an IRS office or IRS taxpayer Assistance Center in U.S. and there they will verify your documents. If all your documents are valid, they will forward them to the IRS for the application process to begin.
- Now all you have to do is wait for at least 5 to 6 weeks for the process to complete. Meanwhile you can call the IRS office and get an update on your application process.
ITIN Number Tips
If you’re not living in U.S. at present, you can easily apply form abroad. IRS has staff available at U.S. embassies overseas like Beijing, Frankfurt, London and Paris. The staff overseas is just as cooperative as it is in U.S. so there’s almost nothing you need to worry about. There’s a complete list of address and contact list available at the IRS site.
Another option you have it so get an ITIN via CAA (Certified Acceptance Agent). These agents are certified by IRS and they’ll help you file for an ITIN number. For starters they’ll explain you the procedure and answer all your questions. And the best part is you don’t have to get your documents certified by the issuing agency because that’s what your agent will do. So as long as you follow and understand the procedure, it’s totally up to you however you want to file for an ITIN number.
If you want to apply for an, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or ITIN tax number and have any other questions, please feel free to contact us at 888-509-3616. If you have any suggestions please share those with us as well. Freedomtax ITIN Number has a professional team of IRS Certifying Acceptance Agents, and tax accounting professionals with more than 16 years of experience, helping immigrants with their ITIN application. Freedomtax can also help immigrant entrepreneurs incorporate a business in the USA. Freedomtax ITIN Tax Number Online services provides Quality, Professional Service with a Family Feel.